Monday, June 20, 2011

Ode to a world of green spandex

So last night I went to a for real grown up movie without animation... wait, last night I went to what was advertised as a for real grown up movie without animation. I'll get to the actual movie, but first a lil side story.
We got a lil messed up on the movie time and ended up there before anyone else. I mean anyone. So Wayne made a pit stop at the rest room, and I headed in to a stupid dark, totally empty theater. As I'm standing there scanning the rows, I had this flashback to one of the Scream movies where some girl gets killed in a theater. So I'm gonna say the pre-movie experience was pretty thrilling and heart pounding.
And then the movie actually started. Now to be fair I'm not a huge comic book hero fan when it comes to my movies. I do love me some XMen and some Superman, but that's 'bout it. I usually prefer stupid funny movies. A large part of my relationship with Wayne was built on the fantabulous comedic skills of Will Ferrell and Ben Stiller. But it was Father's Day so I braved the world of comic books...
First of all lemme say that someone must have caught a clearance sale on indiglow green spandex. One guy in that stuff, kinda fun. An entire planet of funky hybrid aliens, really funny. For real, we're sitting in this dark theater, and I'm trying not to bust a gut with my mouth buried in my elbow cuz ya know I don't wanna ruin the movie for Wayne. I look over and he's giggling like a lil girl too. This is when I decided that I might just enjoy this movie after all.
Pretty much when the giant fish started having a deep and meaningful conversations with a giant rock monster... while wearing the neon green spandex, this movie went from action to comedy. The alien planet was like Whoville...dressed up in neon green spandex and very serious. I know somewhere in that crowd was the Grinch all muscled up with his ring and spandex. I'm sorry. Apparently I just can't get past the spandex. Makes me giggle just thinking about it.
The back story was pretty hardcore. It was a lot to take in for a first time Green Lantern-er. That would explain why there wasn't enough time left in the movie for a plot. I understood. The new-bie from Earth beats the universe threatening Eee-Vil in like 10 min flat. And the ancient defenders of the entire universe (in spandex) show up to pull him away from the sun after he's done all the actual hero work. Lil bit of a let down. Although it did mean seeing the giant fish and rock monster (in spandex) one more glorious time.
Overall, it was not a 'quality' movie, but I was def entertained. It may however, have ruined the color green for me.
Oh and after the movie I had to hit the rest rooms. For real not another soul in the restroom. Flashback again to a Scream movie where the guy gets killed in the bathroom. So another tense moment while doing my business. Because movies can just stick with you even if its been well over a decade since you saw them.
I believe Green Lantern will stick with me the same way... only about Spandex.

No comments:

Post a Comment