Friday, April 29, 2011

Why the Royal wedding ircked me...

So the last week or so all the coverage of the royal festivities has really started to get on my nerves. Honestly, I couldn't figure out why. I heart weddings. I really heart weddings. I mean it's like going to a real life Julia Roberts movie that's catered. What could possibly be more amazing?!
Today it totally hit me. The things I love most about weddings have nothing to do with things. It seemed the wedding details were getting all the hype.
 The things that make a wedding truly amazing have nothing to do with the colors, the location, or even (this hurts to say) the fantabulous dress.
What makes a wedding a wedding is the loooove.
One of my fav wedding moments is a stressed out groom. He was pacing and, well, just a touch cranky beforehand. I'm telling you when his bride stepped into the church, his whole demeanor changed. His eyes lit up, and he had the sweetest smile every time he touched her. During pictures you expect the bride to be gitty, but the groom was on cloud nine. Truly a fairytale moment.
I remember catching a father of the bride sitting alone with tears in his eyes. Watching a bride slip into her dress and her mother's face. The bride's face as she peeks into the sanctuary waiting for her song to start. A groom at the reception who was watching his bride from across the room as she greeted people with tears in his eyes. The hugs between father and son. Watching the groomsmen try to figure out which side to pin their flower on and how to do it without drawing blood. And oh the stories of groomsmen with sunglasses, carrying the groom, sneaking out to 'decorate' the getaway car. The tiny flowergirls with ringlets who pile up rose petals in one big mound as they giggle. The ringbearers who think the ring pillow is actually a weapon. The moments after the ceremony when it's just the bridal party. When a husband holds his wife for the first time in a quiet hallway.
Weddings are this unEarthly moment when God joins two people together. It's a moment that makes me tear up over and over again. To look at my husband and so truly grateful for him.
This is why I love weddings.
And btw, I did catch a pic of Kate. And yeah the dress was fierce.
And now some of my fav moments


















1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you! I didn't even care about the "things" for my wedding. I never dreamed about the dress, flowers or colors. In fact my dress cost me twenty bucks and I wore flip flops! I didn't care about all that because all I cared about was marrying Timothy. :) I did watch some clips of the Royal Wedding online yesterday. He kept sneaking peaks at her and even whispered sweet nothings to her. :) It may have been a huge spectacle, and there may have been some weird ugly hats, but there was definitely some love there! :)

    ReplyDelete