Friday, April 8, 2011

Disney blog 1 of prob a 1000 or so



The carousel outside the Castle. We rode at least once a day.
One day she actually rode three times. She loved the unicorn :)

Wednesday night I could hardly sleep. I'd close my eyes and start to giggle. But Thursday morning I did a Tigger spring out of bed. Wayne and the kids were a lil more Eeyore but still super excited :)
And up pulled a Limo. It was my first time to ride in one, and I have to say I highly recommend doing it in sweats. Cuz everything is better in sweats.
So we spent the rest of the day on planes. Turbulence is not my friend. Draminmine is def Seth's friend. Spent some quality time on the runway in Orlando during a nasty storm. Spent some quality time with most of Orlando waiting on luggage. And then couldn't find our greeter from Make A Wish at the airport. So 12 hrs after leaving our house, we were pretty ragged. That moment when ur children start crying, and u completely agree with them.
We finally decided we didn't need our greeter, got the rental car ourselves and set off in the dark rainy night. I was having visions of that scene in Beauty and the Beast where Belle is wandering thru the woods. Only instead of a castle we found a Walmart. (It's the landmark we were looking for to find our way to Give Kids the World.) And then we pulled into Give Kids the World.
This is the part of the story where there's a climatic ballad by Elton John. Think parting mist and sparkly covered landscapes.
Give Kids the World is Make A Wish's own lil hotel and hands down one of my fav things about the whole trip.
It's this whole community of kids and parents that are all here for the same reason. It's a place full of volunteers who are there to make a wonderful trip into an amazing one. And it's where I saw the most amazing things of the entire trip.
We checked into our lil house that night, and the next morning headed to breakfast at the Gingerbread house. It's this beyond adorable restaurant where everything is free and overflowing with shiny happy people. The room is full of all these children with life threatening conditions who couldn't be happier.
I watched a 10 yr old girl help her wheelchair bound sister get her breakfast. The 10 yr old was carrying her sister's tray and so sweetly asking her sister what she wanted, if the portions were big enough. The selflessness of this sister just touched me so deeply.
Honestly, it made me tear up like a big ol girl. I saw such love between families every time we where there I just can't put it into words.
I've noticed before that my kids are very close. That Seth will go sit with Grace while she does her treatments. Anytime she's sick, he's upset and worried. But even apart from her illness, they are close. He runs to hug her everyday when she gets home from school. On the weekends they're always having their own sleepovers. Until this trip it had never crossed my mind that maybe there friendship was partly because of her illness.
I watched him run to get the door for kids in wheelchairs and smile at everyone of them. Maybe his compassion is in part because of her Cystic Fibrosis. I found myself suddenly grateful to this terrible disease for small favors.
So I know u were thinking this blog would be all about Minnie and Mickey. To be honest, I thought it would be too. I'll get to all that. This is gonna take awhile.
pics of give kids the world :D
Next time the story of how Wayne became a pirate and my Mom smooched a space ranger.

No comments:

Post a Comment